How is overall impaired performance applied in semester one 2020?

The University acknowledges that many of you have experienced disruptions and difficulties completing your assessments.

The University knows that these disruptions have affected all students and every assessment and therefore this will be considered during marking, without you needing to apply for impaired performance consideration.

Tap on the options below to understand how impaired performance will be processed.

The Chief Examiner and/or Examinations Committee works with the Course Coordinators to oversee the review and assurance of each course.

Covid-19 presents some unique challenges in the process that we are working through, but we anticipate that the course results prior to publication will either be considered holistically and a single final grade given or compared statistically, and potentially scaled.

For College of Creative Arts students, adjustments have been made to the grading process in courses to ensure fairness and equity of assessment.

Student grades currently visible within Stream will be considered provisional until publication date and have not yet been adjusted for IP considerations.

Cohort comparison will involve a course offering means being compared to that previous course offering’s mean. [Or where the offering is too small or new etc and the calculation of the past mean won’t work, we have derived a comparative mean from the aggregated results of either the whole course or we have derived a mean from the other courses in that subject area at the same level].


The Chief Examiners’ default instructions from our College Executive Team (acting under delegated authority from the Crisis Management Group and SLT) are to authorise the raising of the final grades if there is more than 5 marks difference between 2020 and the comparator.

This change would be applied at the final grade stage and prior to publication, but only to the students who have completed the course offering. So, the adjustments won’t be made at the level of the assessment item listed in the gradebook in Stream or for students who have withdrawn.

There may be some circumstances where the Chief Examiners might ask to exercise their discretion not to raise grades, but:

  • This is expected to be a rare occurrence linked to a particular course requirement,

  • Will have to have a strong compelling reason and

  • Each instance will be closely examined by the Office of the PVC.

We know that several of the adjustments we have already made to courses (e.g. changing assessment types and requirements, extensions, compulsory completion rules and generosity of interpretation around compliance with instructions), will invariably result in some courses in which student performance for S1 2020 will actually exceed the comparator group’s performance. In these cases, students can be reassured that we will not be lowering marks.

Note that although people may call this approach ‘scaling’ as a shorthand; and that’s correct in informal language; to avoid confusion we are clarifying that we will not be using the SMS scaling tool – our calculations will be straightforward mean to mean, with each student who has completed the course expected to be given the same adjustment. But there is a small caveat because the adjustment will be in whole marks, no student can be given a grade higher than 100.

For example:

If the mean for Auckland 1151xx in 2019 was 65.00 / and the 2020 mean for that same offering is 59.00, we can expect every student’s grade in that offering to be increased by 6 marks.


For a student who had a provisional grade of 50, their new grade will be 56.


But the caveat applies so that if a student received a provisional grade of 97, they cannot get the full additional 6 marks and so they will have a new final grade of 100.

If a student had a provisional grade of 60, they would go to an initial final grade of 66, but we will then look at the valid IP claims after this initial adjustment process, so if this student’s IP claim meant their TCA grade being improved, and that resulted in a weighted improvement of 4 marks, this students would get an adjusted final grade of 70.

The way that the overall University’s response will be practiced in the College of Sciences for Semester One grading will follow our normal approach to scaling. This will be achieved by comparing the distribution of grades achieved against what is usually expected for that course, and applying scaling if needed. This will compensate fairly for any systematic disadvantage (or advantage) across cohorts. Decisions will be made on a course-by-course basis and overseen by the relevant Academic Dean.

The manner in which this will be operationalised in the College of Health for final grading of Semester One grading will be through moderation achieved by comparing the distribution of grades achieved against what is usually expected/encountered for that course, and applying scaling if appropriate. This approach is intended to compensate fairly for any systematic disadvantage (or advantage) across cohorts. Decisions will be made on a course-by-course basis and overseen by the College of Health Examination Committee.

The purpose of Academic Standing is to provide you with a mechanism that allows you to see how you are progressing in your studies. It helps us to identify and acknowledge your progress, and recognise when you need extra assistance. Academic Standing GPA is separate to Overall GPA

Academic Standings are calculated and assigned after each semester and Summer School results are published. They are calculated using your performance in the most recent enrolment period, with some contribution from your performance in any previous enrolment periods. Standings are allocated based on the criteria in the tables below.

You can request your academic standing GPA at contact@massey.ac.nz. There is currently no online tool to calculate this.

Please send your appeal to:

  • School of Business

    • business@massey.ac.nz

    • At certain times there can be significant delays in cases being examined.
  • College of Sciences

    • sciences.admin@massey.ac.nz


    College of Humanities and Social Sciences

    • L.Emerson@massey.ac.nz

You are entitled to remain under the regulations stipulated on massey.ac.nz for the year that you first enrolled in your programme.

If changes to programmes have affected your prerequisites or caused other course selection issues for you when using the Portal, please contact the University Contact Centre on 0800-MASSEY.  Explain what has happened and they will make you an appointment with the  academic advisor best suited to your case.

In some cases you will not be able to fight the Portal, but the academic advisors can do a manual course variation request.

  1. Provide a description and evidence of what you know about it and who.
  2. Send to your head of school.
  3. Make sure you let your head of school know who you are. Don’t send information  on anonymously or the College can’t ascertain it is from a credible source.

Massey University is unable to support students who are living overseas with a therapy from a counsellor. The NZAC (and their insurance provider, Crombie Lockwood) confirm that counsellors are not covered to provide services to anyone outside NZ.

When a counsellor sees a client, they assume a certain level of risk and need to be able to competently manage that risk. If a client is not in NZ, then their access to and understanding of crisis support services (overseas) is minimal to non-existent. The Counsellors cannot support & refer their client in the event of a crisis to a local support service. Our Counselling Service is unable to establish professional collaborative working relationships with overseas support services that may be required to effectively manage a case.

Massey University can however provide wellbeing support via resources on MyHub and through our many support staff including the International Student Support team.

Student services levies are not the same. A distance student taking 0-15 credits pays $136.00 and an internal student taking 0-15 credits pays $284.00. There is no difference based on whether you are domestic or international.

In Semester One 2020, students who were stranded overseas and had enrolled in internal courses were charged the internal levy fee. To ensure these students get value from that fee a special offshore student support team provided additional support to these students across the semester. Work is currently underway to establish the best charge vs provision of service approach for Semester Two for those still offshore.

For full details on student levy fees please tap here

The distance student’s levies are spent on a range of services, not just counselling or health. Distance students were emailed in August 2019 with a link to an online survey asking for their opinion on how they would like to see the compulsory Student Services Levy allocated to the services listed. 532 responses to the online survey were received from Distance students voicing their opinion.

Based on this feedback the Student Services Levy budget allocations for 2019 are:

  • Advocacy and advice
  • Career development and employment advice
  • Health and counselling services
  • Pastoral care and wellbeing
  • Orientation and campus activities
  • Wellbeing promotion
  • Cultural groups
  • Student associations

Tap here for more details on what the student levy funds are spent on

For example, zero contact for weeks and little to no response to questions asked in forum or email

  • Reach out to course coordinator and outline your concerns, allow at least two working days for reply.

  • If you don’t hear back then reach out again more urgently or phone them.
  • If you still don’t hear back or solutions are not offered then please send feedback to the Deputy Pro Vice-Chancellor of your college.


List of DPVC:
  • School of Business – J.Cullinane@massey.ac.nz
  • College of Sciences – S.B.Hall@massey.ac.nz
  • College of Health – J.L.McCutcheon@massey.ac.nz
  • College of Humanities and Social Sciences – C.Gallavin@massey.ac.nz

General Enrolment

A full information depository for a programme/course including regulations, GPA (grade point average), requirements and course structure is found on massey.ac.nz. These are the course  guidelines you must understand and adhere to when approaching the enrolment section of the Portal.  The Portal has only basic information for wayfaring course selection.

Enrolment for postgraduate study and beyond 

Each MU School (also called Departments) offers different study paths, and each study path has a  GPA required.  Some Schools are more competitive than others and have a limited number of spaces for postgraduate study.

So, it is recommended that you find out early on in your bachelor’s degree what  postgraduate paths are available for your subject/major, and then for each path (e.g. research) find out what
GPA is needed for entry. Even if you don’t think you will go on to postgraduate because it is good to be prepared and to understand what your school has to offer beyond a bachelor’s degree. If nothing else, you will be fully equipped to answer any questions concerning your MU school of study.

To find out what study paths are available postgrad for your subject/major and what GPA is required for these paths, please call Massey 0800-MASSEY, explain your request and ask to be matched to an academic advisor best suited to your request. For more information about your subject you can also contact the HoS (head of school) or PVC (Pro-Vice Chancellor, head of the College) or Deputy PVC.

How to find HoS and PVC:

Tap this link and scroll down and select your school, then scroll down that page to find PVC or HoS. However, that link is missing schools so if you can’t find your school there try Massey University and select Study in the top navigation menu.. A list of Colleges will drop down. Tap on your College and scroll down to find your School/Department then scroll down that page to find PVC or HoS.


Distance students are assisted by the Fees and Financial Support unit at Massey University – studentadminfees@massey.ac.nz.

We can assist you with information about student loans and allowances and making sure your enrolment is consistent with eligibility requirements. We are the designated point for sign off of all StudyLink supplementary forms and can ensure you are getting your full entitlement. We work closely with Studylink to ensure you receive appropriate assistance and to resolve Student Loan and Student Allowance problems.

For more information from MU tap here.

Ngā mihi nui


If you’re studying part-time, you may only be able to get a Student Loan for compulsory course fees unless you can be classed as a full-time student.

How can I get classed as a full-time student?

To answer this, you first need to understand how many courses is considered part-time at Massey:

  • You need to study at least four courses/papers over a whole year (that can include semester one, two and Summer school) to be classified as part-time.
  • At Massey a full-time course load is at least seven courses/papers over a whole year.

Reasons you could be considered a full-time student, even if you’re studying part-time:

  • studying part-time, with the support of your education provider, for one of these reasons:
    • you have a medical condition
    • for a reason you can’t control (eg, disability)
    • it’s in your academic best interests. This means if you studied full-time, you would probably fail because of academic reasons relating to your cognitive ability. But if you studied part-time, you would most likely pass more than half of the course, or
  • finishing an approved course that you’ve already started and doing enough papers so that you’re studying over half of a full-time course.

What you can get if you are considered to be a full-time student:

If you’re classed as a full-time student, you may be able to get a:

  • Student Loan for:
    • compulsory course fees
    • course-related costs
    • living costs.
  • Student Allowance.

Apply to be classed as a full-time student:

The LFT application form has a section for a staff member at Massey to complete to provide advice from an academic point of view. While StudyLink will receive (in case of medical issues) information from a registered health professional, they may not be in a position to determine what impact such an issue would have in academic terms, and how much study the student can realistically undertake.

The person completing the LFT application form can be any staff member from the education provider, if you are unsure send the form to Academic Services . However, it is recommended that this is someone that knows of the student’s situation, and understands how much study they realistically could undertake given their circumstances. That person may wish to request further evidence or information from the student to help support your recommendation.

More information about LFTS:

About Limited Full-time

Criteria for Limited Full-time status

Illness of the student

Sufficient cause outside of the student’s control

Academic best interests

Completing the course of study

The education provider’s role




Students enrolling mid year (semester two) can’t enrol for the following year until October. This can be problematic for students who need classification as a full time student to get student allowance but are not able to take on four courses in semester two.

What to do??

You need to send to Studylink a confirmation from the University that you will be studying the following year. If you are unsure who to get this confirmation from please contact Massey Student Fees and Finance and ask. This means you can take less than four courses in semester two (the semester you are starting) and still be considered full-time 

You can apply for a study assistance loan if you meet the following criteria:

  • I am studying at tertiary level 4 or above
  • I have costs directly related to my study.
  • I am not studying towards postgraduate diplomas or postgraduate certificates
  • I am not studying for a doctorate degree, or a bachelor with honors or masters
  • I am not receiving a Training Incentive Allowance at level 4 or above
  • I have used up all my Course Related Costs components of my student loan (if relevant)

I fit the criteria for Sole Parent Support Study Assistance, what can I get?

The maximum amount you can borrow is $500.00 in a calendar year. This is interest and tax free. You can apply up to five times in a calendar year, but you cannot receive more than $500.00 in total, and you have to repay it.

  • Transport to and from your course, including car running costs
  • Childcare costs (less any childcare assistance payments)
  • Baby sitting or other child minding costs
  • Books and stationary
  • Course equipment and materials
  • Other costs that WINZ approves you need

You won’t need to make any repayments until you finish your course, leave the course or you stop receiving Sole Parent Support, whichever comes first. When that happens you will need to talk to Work and Income about how much you can repay each week, and how you can pay it. The minimum amount you must repay is $4.00 a week, unless you have exceptional circumstances.

How do I apply for Sole Parent Support Study Assistance?

  • You need to use MyMSD to book a phone appointment with WINZ.
  • You’ll need to register for MyMSD first if you haven’t already done this.
  • If you’re already registered, you can log in as you normally would.
  • Tap here to register or login to MyMSD



  • are receiving Training Incentive Allowance at level 4 or above
  • have not used up all the Course Related Costs component of their Student loan, if they are entitled to it.